before the sun goes down

"Be of good courage, and let us behave ourselves valiantly for our people, and for the cities of our God: and let the LORD do that which is good in His sight" (I Chronicles 19:13).

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Frederick Douglass, Abolitionist



Today marks two hundred and one years since the birth of Frederick Douglass, a runaway slave, who became an abolitionist, orator, author, editor, statesman, and preacher of the Gospel (as well as becoming the most photographed American of the 19th century).  This bold Christian man became renowned as the "Lion of Abolition."

The following are some quotes of his, which I believe may be beneficial to those seeking to abolish the evil of child sacrifice in our day.  Every age has its evils.  Every age has its abolitionists.  Let us reflect on his words.  

On Prayer & Action - “I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.”

On the REAL Problem, or Question - “There is no negro problem.  The problem is whether the American people have loyalty enough, honor enough, patriotism enough to live up to their own Constitution.”

On Free Speech  - “To suppress free speech is a double wrong.  It violates the rights of the hearer as well as those of the speaker.”

On the effect upon his life after his Salvation - “I loved all mankind, slaveholders included, though I hated slavery more than ever.”

On true Christianity - “I love the pure, peaceable, and impartial Christianity of Christ; I therefore hate the corrupt, slave-holding, women whipping, cradle plundering, partial and hypocritical Christianity of this land.”

On Being a Nation's True Friend - “I am one of those who think the best friend of a nation is he who most faithfully rebukes her for her sins – and he, her worst enemy, who, under the specious and popular garb of patriotism seeks to excuse, palliate, and defend them.” April 15, 1846




On Reactions to Shining Light on Wrong  - “Men do not love those who remind them of their sins.”

On National Security - “The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.”

On Justice and Peace in Society - "Where there is no justice, there is no peace."

On Demanding Justice - “If there is no struggle, there is no progress.  Power concedes nothing without a demand.  It never did and it never will.  Without a struggle, there can be no progress.  It is not light that we need, but fire; it is not the gentle shower, but thunder.  We need the storm, the whirlwind, and the earthquake.”

On Agitation - “Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground.”

On the Fear of Man - “I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence.”

On Tolerance and Tyranny - “Find out what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.”

On Standing Alone - “One and God make a majority.”



On his One Political Idea - "I have one great political idea...That idea is an old one.  It is widely and generally assented to; nevertheless, it is very generally trampled upon and disregarded.  The best expression of it, I have found in the Bible.  It is in substance, 'Righteousness exalteth a nation; sin is a reproach to any people' [Proverbs 14:34]...This constitutes my politics -- the negative and positive of my politics, and the whole of my politics...I feel it my duty to do all in my power to infuse this idea into the public mind, that it may speedily be recognized and practiced upon by our people."

O, FOR CHRISTIANS TO AWAKEN TO RIGHTEOUSNESS, FIRED WITH ZEAL FROM FAITH IN THE SCRIPTURES, AND CONSTRAINED BY THE LOVE OF CHRIST!

O, FOR HEROES TO RISE TODAY, AND SPEAK WITH THE FACES OF LIONS!

Abortion must be abolished.

No comments:

Post a Comment